Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Is About Family

  Christmas is about family- your ancestors, your descendants, and your right now family.  

  I have been thinking a lot about my ancestors lately and how far back this gene goes.  I do not know if it came from my great grandmother or great grandfather.. Both died from other causes and my great grandmother had enough children to probably negate her increased chances if she had the gene.

  There are multiple studies that show that having multiple (full term) pregnancies helps lower a woman's chances of breast and ovarian cancer.  One study said something about if a woman had 5 children she could cut her chance in half!  ( my first thought is 5 college tuitions!)  Other studies focus on having children when you're still "a young woman" and the studies focus on having a child before you're 20!  Well I'm older than 20, but I would still consider myself a young woman!

  I have not had a meeting with a genetic counselor yet, so my thoughts are still just my own and not medically guided.  Every day I think about having a child.  Every day I worry about having a child.  Should I fit a baby into my plans sooner rather than later for my health?  Can I wait until I graduate law school to have kids, or is that too late?  How old is too old to have a child?  Until I meet with a counselor, I will continue thinking about it non-stop.

  The nurse who gave me my results said, "I know you will worry about passing this gene on to your children."  Well, sorry lady, you do not know me.  I do not want to pass this gene on to my children but there is nothing I will be able to do to prevent it.  My father was more prepared than my grandmother, and I am even more prepared than him.  My children will have a mother that was vigilant her whole life and will help them do the same if necessary.

  So much to think about!  Well, be thankful for your family, especially today and tomorrow,  no matter how ridiculous, embarrassing, silly, annoying, or overwhelming they can be.  Be grateful for the time you got to spend with those who have passed.  Learn what you can from your grandparents or aunts or uncles, even if it is "crazy aunt whoever" or "senile grandma".. There are family traditions and memories they have to share, so listen closely.

Merry Christmas! 

There's no place like home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all the love and positive comments!