Friday, February 14, 2014

February means Go Time!



     I have been more nervous than I would care to admit.  February means the first of many doctors appointments.  I don't know why, but it feels more real having an appointment.
     So my appointment was supposed to be Thursday (yesterday) but the snow had different things in mind.  I will have to wait another week... Deep breath!  So, today marked a turning point for my state of mind.
     I have to focus on what I can do, and not what I do not know.  With that being said my thoughts began to race on all the things I want to do, and can do around my house.

The To Do List:
  • Powder Room
  • Laundry Closet
  • Dining Room
  • Kitchen "Junk" Drawer
  • Kitchen Pantry
There are many other things I want to do around the house but I would be happy if I could work on these 5 projects this year.

Powder room:



You can tell... Really boring, total blank slate. 

Which means I can do anything I want!!


My design aesthetic is nautical without being beachy.  The house has three main colors: Navy, Cranberry, and Khaki.  Obvious white accents are necessary and perfect for that nautical pop.  So what do I want to do with such a blank slate?  Where do I go when I need ideas?  Pinterest!
Striped bathroom walls
I know, I know, I don't want to go beachy, and this picture is an overly beachy themed powder room, but I love the idea behind it!  Keep the khaki, change the light blue to both a cranberry and navy stripes.  The pictures will have to be something more like anchors, ships wheels, and lighthouses.  I'll cross that bridge when I get there.


Laundry Closet:
 
I said I would be honest in this blog, so I didn't even clean up my laundry closet before I look this picture.  This is how it is all day, every day.  Am I a little embarrassed by how messy it is, of course!  That's why it needs to change!  Back to Pinterest for ideas....
 
Just let this one soak in for a minute.  It is so gorgeous.  I cannot wait to put that navy on the wall to help make the cabinets and appliances pop.  I am probably most excited about this project.I've got some work to do...
Dining Room:
As you can tell, another blank slate.  We have a few great pieces of furniture that my husband and I love.  He picked out the mirror (it wasn't part of the original set, but it matches PERFECTLY!).  You can also see how much stuff I have piled up on the table, in every crevice of the credenza, and even on top of it!  I need to organize and get a little more storage.





 This wall is currently empty.

That is not how I want it!  I want a plate wall.  I haven't found a plate wall I like enough on Pinterest to include, but here are the plates that I have so far:
And here is the Pinterest inspiration picture:
+navy +dining +room Design, Pictures, Remodel, Decor and Ideas - page 2
Kitchen "Junk" Drawer:
This drawer was worse.  Imagine that.  Worse than this!
We all have, or have had, a drawer like this.  Enough so that this woman made a wonderful Pinterest post that thousands of people have repinned.
Her picture:
Make your own DIY Custom Wood Kitchen Utensil Drawer Organizer! Super easy and so cheap. You can do this for less than $10!
 I've got my work cut out for me.
Kitchen Pantry:
 
What a mess.  I can't even look at this picture without flinching.  I have organized this pantry so many times but nothing I do keeps it organized for long.  So I looked to the experts... once again, Pinterest.  I know the ladies at least have seen a ton of posts about organizing your kitchen and so the pantry has been a big one.  I'm an engineer, I need more efficiency in my life!  I am a disgrace with this pantry as messy as it is.
 
 
 
 
 
Ridiculously organized pantry, with tutorial for how to make canned food organizers
Beautiful, I know.  I am going to contradict myself.  This is the project I am most looking forward to finishing.  I am nervous about doing this one because I am worried about doing anything to the door.  I'm a big fan of those command strip things, so I will be looking at their website in an attempt to find some shortcuts using them.
 
     Well, for not posting in over a month, I hope this post more than made up for it.  I'm excited to work on my house, although it is a slow process.  I will have another post next week after my appointment.  Promise.  Please check out my Pinterest account (that at least is well organized!).  The link to it is that little orange P at the top of my page.  I have pinned most of my pins with good connections, so please look at all these wonderful people and their pages.
 
 
Don't make change too complicated, just live it.

1 comment:

  1. Love all your project inspirations! Pinterest is the best! This all seem totally doable and I can't wait to see finished products one day! Have fun checking these things off your list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all the love and positive comments!